It is Newquay’s ambition to have a town where personal safety is a priority
It is Newquay’s ambition to have a town where personal safety is a priority, to send a clear message to people visiting Newquay that our town is safe, and that a whole town approach has been launched to help ensure this.
Newquay BID is leading this initiative as part of Love Newquay and are taking a proactive step to implement several Safe Spaces within the town by April 2024.
Newquay Safe Spaces will offer a place of safety to anyone feeling vulnerable or at immediate risk within the town. These Safe Spaces are being provided by local businesses.
CLEAR will provide relevant support and training for businesses and organisations wanting to become a Safe Space or wishing to support the Safe Spaces, with a real focus on the nighttime economy.
People in need maybe of any age or gender, feeling at imminent risk of abuse or harm. Examples include:
- a young person at risk of immediate physical abuse;
- a person feeling they are being stalked or having been harmed by violence;
- a person feeling under pressure by peers to participate in drug, crime or other activity;
- a young person unable to get home safely after a night out.
It must be emphasised that a Safe Space is to support, not to fix. It is a temporary and immediate venue to provide safety and assistance.
Becoming a Safe Space:
All businesses and organisations wanting to become a Safe Space will be supported to ensure they are properly prepared and ready to become a Safe Space, with systems in place to protect themselves, their employees and the person at risk seeking immediate support.
In becoming a Safe Space, you will have the necessary understanding to support a person seeking help and have a list of wider support agencies to contact in order to signpost to the support required. It may be that your support for a person in need is simply a call home or to someone to come and pick them up. If the person seeking safety has been a victim of crime or feels they are at risk, you would simply call 999. Newquay Police Station is open between 8am and 6pm.
By way of support, CLEAR is also able to provide critical incident support for people working within a Safe Space following any incident that they may have found to be traumatic.
- Book your place on CLEAR’s Safeguarding Level 3 Principles of Safeguarding and Protecting Children, Young People and Vulnerable Adults. This training is a lifelong qualification with regular updates sent post training. (1 day)
- Book your place on the Bystander Intervention Training and Safe Space Workshop (4hrs).
- Cost of the training package is £200 per person (only 1 person from each organisation to attend) which may be subsidised if funding becomes available.
Businesses Supporting Safe Spaces:
All organisations wishing to support Safe Spaces within the town will be invited to undertake Bystander Intervention Training. This training will not only provide organisations with knowledge and skills of being an active Bystander, but it will also add value to the town as a whole by building wider understanding in the community as a whole.
We would also encourage anyone working within the nighttime economy to undertake Bystander Intervention Training.
Lets work together to make Newquay the first ever ‘SAFE SPACE TOWN’!
In promoting this initiative, all involved will be included in marketing and promotion of the same. Each Safe Space will be provided with a ‘Safe Space’ graphic to display on their website, literature and communications.